[Imports] Bing Building Import

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Jul 3 18:31:19 UTC 2018

On Tuesday 03 July 2018, Jubal Harpster wrote:

> The data are free of 3rd party rights. We are working through the
> internal process of releasing the labeled training data & the models.
>  The original hand verified & digitized training data was released in
> April 2017 and is available here
> (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microsoft_Building_Footprint_Dat
>a).

Thanks.

I will try to summarize the provenance of the data - please correct me
if anything of the following is wrong:

According to the wiki page:

"The footprints are the result of Microsoft's efforts and not purchased
or obtained from other sources"

"These building footprints were hand digitized from very high resolution
aerial photography captured by Microsoft"

This means (assuming this is the only training data used) that this part
would be clear of any third party rights (and a commendable amount of
diligence i might add).

Am i right to assume that the image data used for the actual detection
is the same as what is available in the Bing image layer?  I conclude
this from being implied in:

"The vintage of the footprints depends on the vintage of the underlying
imagery. Because Bing Imagery is a composite of multiple sources it is
difficult to know the exact dates for individual pieces of data."

Side note:  The list of areas in

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microsoft_Building_Footprint_Data

is mostly limited to urban areas and suspiciously misses some parts of
the US with distinct geographic characteristics, in particular the
northern rockies.  So if someone wants to poke the data for quality
issues rural Montana might be a good place to start. :-)

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/