[Imports] Import of Flemish Government data (building footprints and addresses)

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Sat Nov 3 13:16:34 UTC 2018

On Sat, Nov 03, 2018 at 01:37:52PM +0100, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> 1. Nov 2018 16:30 by kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com <mailto:kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>:
>

> > In both use cases, the major purpose of the foreign key is to avoid manual review in the case where OSM will not be updated. If an object (retrieved by key) is unchanged since the last import, in both OSM and the external database, then there is no work to be done.
>
> Is there some reason why storing "object with id in database XYZ was uploaded as OSM object
> with id 717373737" should be stored in OSM?
>
> This data is useful only to whoever made the import and keeps updating data. Others,
> even when working with the same data must anyway verify whatever OSM objects really match
> objects in the external database.

So you're suggesting storing the relation between the 2 database
in a 3rd database?

After an edit in osm, you would also need to edit this other
database. Without tools to automate this, this looks very error
prone. I don't directly see how you can automate this in an
editor. On the other hand, importing the id in osm seems easy.

Kurt