[Imports] Import of Flemish Government data (building footprints and addresses)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Mon Oct 29 10:34:59 UTC 2018

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 at 09:16, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> On 10/28/18 18:46, Pieter Vander Vennet wrote:
> > By having the integrationprocess in place, we can make sure that the
> > data is properly integrated, properly attributed and backreferenced for
> > future updates.
>
> I am always skeptical of imports trying to uphold links to an external
> database, and would recommend *not* keeping any IDs from the source
> object in OSM.

I *strongly* recommend including links (or IDs, that can be used in
links) to external databases. This is vital for two reasons: it
indicates the *precise* provenance of the sourced data; and it makes
OSM a better able to function as part of the web of linked-, open-,
data.

> Keeping a link to the source signals to the mapper "don't touch this,
> it's official data" or "your edits can be overwritten by a future import".

That may be your interpretation; it is most certainly not mine. Do you
have any evidence that anyone other than you interprets links in this
bizarre manner?

> More often than not, importers keep an external ID because they think
> "it might be useful later".

Again, please provide evidence to support this assertion.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing