[Imports] Building Footprints in Kariba, Zimbabwe

Jason Owen jasono at ziva.africa
Mon Feb 11 08:18:40 UTC 2019

Dear OSM community,

I am from Zimbabwe and I’m working with the Local Authority in Kariba Town
(a small town in the West of the country). The Local Authority would like
to launch an app reliant on OSM data. The app is for reporting local issues
and users will geolocate issues before submitting a form. Zimbabwe does not
have a great street address system and most streets in Kariba are not
officially named. Most houses do not have street numbers or street
names/addresses. However, all houses have got what is known as a “Stand
Number” which is given to the property owner when they purchase their
property.

The local authority has good GIS capabilities and has been creating GIS
layers for points of interest and building footprints with useful
attributes such as the stand number. I am helping them to investigate the
possibility of uploading a shapefile of all property boundaries with stand
number attributes to OSM. This will greatly improve the geocoding
possibilities for Kariba residents.

I am following the steps laid out in the Import Guidelines -
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines. I would like to
inform the imports mailing list of our intentions and I look forward to
your comments and advice about this proposed import.

Thanks so much,
Jason