[Imports] Building Footprints in Kariba, Zimbabwe

Jason Owen jasono at ziva.africa
Wed Feb 13 10:52:56 UTC 2019

Thank you all for your inputs :) Here are my responses:

*What are the requirements?*
The Local Authority is aiming to release an android app in March this year
that allows local residents to geolocate urban issues such as potholes,
street lights not working etc. These issues are emailed to the responsible
people through the app (the app is built on the open source FixMyStreet
<https://www.fixmystreet.com/> platform which makes use of OSM for
geocoding). The address system in Kariba like most of Zimbabwe is quite bad
- one thing that does work is a "stand number" which is given upon purchase
of a plot/property and and that many people post outside their houses. In
my opinion this is the best option for geolocation in Kariba. Hopefully one
day we have a good address system but for now many streets are not named
and many houses do not have street numbers...

*If its to associate a particular plot code with a building or plot then
could you just add a tag to the existing building?*
Yes this is an option. I have downloaded the OSM data for Kariba from
Geofabrik. Can I update the tags "type" and "name" in QGIS and then upload
the whole shapefile of buildings with updated tags using JOSM... this would
be more efficient than manually tagging each one.

*Do you want to map the plots independently of the buildings?*
This is another option since the plots are different from the buildings as
John has pointed out. I see there is also a landuse layer in OSM - would I
be replacing/updating that or creating a whole new layer?

So looks like there are three possible options:
1. Update tags of existing buildings with attributes from the shapefiles I
have
2. Update landuse layer with plots data from shapefiles
3. Create a new layer with plots data from shapefiles

With all 3 options I'd like to edit the shapefiles in QGIS and then bulk
upload to save time/effort. Let me know if this is sounding feasible.

Thanks again for all your help!

Kind Regards,
Jason