[Imports] Microsoft Buildings Import Inquiry

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 16:49:59 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 14. Feb 2019, at 16:09, Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:
>
> IMO a key feature of "is this an import or not?" is whether a mapper looks at each (new) object individually. If yes, then it's not an import.

I believe this is too simplistic, it ignores the copyright aspect and the fact that a lot of things cannot be “surveyed” (verified) remotely. Any data which has not been created by the uploader is an import. If you look individually at each object then it is not an automatic import, but there can still be issues like data is not current, license is not compatible, representation is not appropriate, etc.

I would agree more with your definition if it included checking on the ground (i.e. you have verified all information and could have produced it yourself), but even then there might be copyright in the data (geometric generalization / representation of the situation).

Cheers, Martin