[Imports] Ongoing Canadian building import needs to be stopped, possibly reverted

Nate Wessel bike756 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 04:13:41 UTC 2019

Hi Yaro,

Thanks for marking this as on-hold in the tasking manager. I know I came
in like a wrecking ball and I really appreciate y'all holding things up
while we discuss.

I'd be happy to validate data and help import the rest of central
Toronto once we're up and running again! I use the data in this area a
lot in my work... so I have a vested interest in keeping it at it's best :-)

As to the conflation issue, one of the things we're doing in the other
import I'm working on is that we've essentially split it into two parts.
First we're importing buildings that don't conflict with OSM at all -
this is the easy part - and only later will we go in a bit more
surgically and try to add tags to existing ways and replace geometries
with better data. We haven't started that part yet, though I imagine it
will be a real slog. IMO, it seems like a lot to ask that editors do
both things at once as these are really very different tasks, especially
given the size of the tasks here.

I wonder if you'd have any interest in a similar separation of tasks for
this import? I think one of the benefits is that less experienced
mappers can get their hands dirty on the easier new-data-import part,
without having to be expert on which geometry is better, how to preserve
way histories and tags, etc. Like I said, we haven't started this part
yet in the other import, but even I find the prospect a little daunting!

Best,

Nate Wessel
Jack of all trades, Master of Geography, PhD candidate in Urban Planning
NateWessel.com <http://natewessel.com>