[Imports] Open Government Data- India Health Facilities Import

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 19:18:27 UTC 2019

On 10/07/2019 19:09, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 15:00, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>
>> don't use hashtags in
>> your changeset comment ("#IndiaHealthFacilitiesImport
>> #OpenGovernmentData)", they are an insult to the human reader - use a
>> proper description ("Import of health facilities in India, see <wiki
>> link>" or so).
> Speaking as a human, I'm not in the least insulted by hashtags.
> Structured hashtags are less ambiguous than prose and less likely to
> cause false positives when searching.

Many times I've tried to figure out what a changeset is about only to be
defeated by the use of only hashtags in the changeset comment.  To
demonstrate this I picked the first example all-hashtag-comment
changeset from the history list at osm.org. That has the changeset
comment of "#hotosm-project-6151 #kenya #missingmaps #cp3 #HYLAND"

Taking these one at a time, "hotosm-project-6151" presumably refers to a
project number somewhere.  A web search of that goes to
https://www.hotosm.org/ , but a search there for 6151 gives "No results
found".  Also note that because there are numerous HOT (and other) task
managers around the world that the project number isn't unique, so a URL
would help much more here.

"kenya" I've heard of (and yes the changeset is in Kenya, but I already
knew that).

A web search for "missingmaps " takes us to http://www.missingmaps.org/
.  That's just the organisation's front page though; there's nothing
that helps us understand this changeset there.

Based on a web search "cp3" could be one of

  * Some shoes
  * A basketball player
  * An electronics company
  * A fuel pump for a Dodge or Cummins diesel engine

Similarly "HYLAND" might be:

  * A software company
  * A person with that surname with a presence on Instagram
  * A skiiing area in Indiana USA

Bluntly, none of those hashtags tell me anything useful.

Of course, there are plenty of other unhelpful non-hashtag changeset
comments around (I can see at least one recent example of the infamous
"(no comment) "), and it's also possible to have descriptive hashtags
(in my history list is "#maproulette
#add_layer_to_bridges/tunnels_in_Portugal"), but the advice to only use
non-descriptive hashtags (here "IndiaHealthFacilitiesImport" and
"OpenGovernmentData") is surely bad advice.

Best Regards,

Andy