[Imports] Should this 4-year-old import be deleted? (Ulster County, NY)

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Mon May 6 13:41:53 UTC 2019

On 1/23/2019 6:50 PM, Jmapb wrote:
> Yeah I've been working on these squares around Phoenicia and in spots
> along the NY28 corridor. Truth is I've been happy to have them because
> visually they're a handy "to-do" list, though I prefer to confirm the
> structure in person before updating the squares into shapes that match
> the aerial imagery.
>
> The good news is that they almost all do correspond to real
> structures. But there's no arguing that they're a little ugly and it's
> unfortunate that none of them have address tags.
>
> If better data is available for import I'm all for it. I'll happily
> help with any sort of deduplication task if it comes to that.
>
> If righteous fervor demands that everything still at version 1 gets
> deleted -- I can live with that too.

Hi all, looks like the mass-deletion of these sloppily-imported square
footprints from Ulster County NY did in fact happen:

I had thought that this deletion would have been announced here on the
imports list, continuing this conversation. I'm sorry to see that it
wasn't, and sorry that I did not notice when the deletion happened
inĀ February.

I should have clarified re: "everything still at version 1 gets deleted"
-- a good number the imported footprints (probably less than 100 but I
can't be sure) had been adjusted but were still at version 1 because
their node lists had not changed, and they had no new tags since the
import.... however, the footprints *had* been corrected to aerial
imagery. Because the corrected footprints were still rectangles drawn
with the same nodes in the same order, only the node versions were
incremented.

In changeset 67491082, the version 1 footprint ways were deleted and
their orphaned nodes, at a higher version, were left behind. I was
unaware of this until I noticed a new changeset yesterday (
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/69919272 ) where a mapper
dutifully deleted all of these orphaned nodes because JOSM complained
about them.

I'm happy to revert 69919272 and manually redraw the building footprints
from the restored nodes, if that's the best way forward. But there may
well have been others fixing these footprints in other areas. So I
figured I'd better bring this up for discussion.

Thanks, Jason