[Imports] licence? | Re: Importing data from alltheplaces.xyz

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 17:04:21 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 22. Aug 2020, at 17:43, Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:
>
> They could claim the data is CC0, or that the moon is made of cheese, but that doesn't mean the data is CC0.

cc0 says that the data could be protected:

„ Waiver. To the greatest extent permitted by, but not in contravention of, applicable law, Affirmer hereby overtly, fully, permanently, irrevocably and unconditionally waives, abandons, and surrenders all of Affirmer's Copyright and Related Rights and associated claims and causes of action, whether now known or unknown (including existing as well as future claims and causes of action), in the Work ...“

Note, it says Affirmer‘s rights

and later on:

“
Affirmer offers the Work as-is and makes no representations or warranties of any kind concerning the Work, express, implied, statutory or otherwise, including without limitation warranties of title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non infringement, or the absence of latent or other defects, accuracy, or the present or absence of errors, whether or not discoverable, all to the greatest extent permissible under applicable law.
Affirmer disclaims responsibility for clearing rights of other persons that may apply to the Work or any use thereof, including without limitation any person's Copyright and Related Rights in the Work. Further, Affirmer disclaims responsibility for obtaining any necessary consents, permissions or other rights required for any use of the Work.

I.e. it is good for nothing if other people’s rights are contained in the work.

Cheers Martin