[Imports] Permission Statement

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 17:47:20 UTC 2020

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 10:50 AM Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:

> Brian May <bmay at mapwise.com> writes:
>

> Being able to access a public record is one thing, and possible
> copyright issues are another.   The page does not mention copyright, and
> it's the same thing in Massachusetts.
Exactly, "publicly available"  may not be the same as "public domain." For
example, most books are copyright, but they are publicly available (anyone
can buy them or check them out from the library and read them, but you
can't copy them and redistribute them).

The Colorado open records law actually does allow, but doesn't require,
state agencies to copyright some things. In this case the agency is neither
claiming copyright, nor are they stating the data is in the public domain.
However, if the statement from the agency is acceptable to the OSM
community, I will proceed with creating the plan and ask for community
feedback on it.

Mike