[Imports] Permission Statement

Brian May bmay at mapwise.com
Fri Mar 13 01:31:24 UTC 2020

On 3/12/2020 2:39 PM, Mateusz Konieczny via Imports wrote:

> Mar 12, 2020, 19:19 by bmay at mapwise.com:
>
>     But the state statutes are where you find the details and final
>     answers. If copyright is not mentioned at all in the statutes,
>     then its public domain, right?
>
> Copyright is automatic since 1978 and registration is not necessary.
>
> Work by employees of USA federal government is special and public
> domain by default.
>
> Is something special about work of other levels of government that
> would make it public domain
> without any additional law? AFAIK no.

Interesting point, but the Federal Freedom of Information Act permits
each state to hold its own set of public records guidelines. And that is
how I understand it - the states rules apply if your are getting data
from the state and/or any agency operating within the state. All 50
states have their own public records laws.

https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/2019/mar/08/sw-state-guide/

Brian