[Imports] Interest in Importing Athens-Clarke County Address Data Set

Ian Van Giesen ianvangiesen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 16:41:48 UTC 2020

Hello to whom it concerns in the Imports community of OpenStreetMap,

Hope all is well with you all.

My name is Ian Van Giesen and I am a resident and mapper of Athens-Clarke
County, Georgia, US. I strongly believe in the mission and framework of OSM
and am committed to helping build and maintain this global resource.

Recently, I have become very active in my area, adding thousands of
building outlines, adding data on sidewalks and 'walking the talk' by doing
some surveys on foot. I am now interested in adding addresses to the
buildings and houses I mapped, but am aware that doing this physically
could take a long time. Through some online research, I found that my
county provides an 'Open Data
<https://data-athensclarke.opendata.arcgis.com/>' portal with links to
various useful data sets, including one on Address Points
<https://data-athensclarke.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/63ac622f811944588fb87371542e2979_0?geometry=-83.601%2C33.844%2C-83.174%2C34.043>
.

I recently participated in a meeting for the only mapping related community
in my area, the Community Mapping Lab <http://www.communitymappinglab.org/>,
whose members mostly do not actively contribute or maintain OSM but
actively use its data for their projects. Upon proposal of importing
addresses, there seemed to be a welcome response to the idea, which I am
encouraged by.

I am reaching out to you, because according to the import guidelines
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines>, your input and
feedback is an important step in this process. I also notice that it is
suggested to refer to a wiki page for the import, which at the moment does
not exist, as I don't want to jump the gun, so to speak. I would of course
draft one, if I can get some gears rolling.

Generally speaking, does the import that I am proposing, namely to import
the 68,644 address points into OSM for the area of Athens-Clarke County
sound as though it would be both 1. useful and in line with the spirit of
OSM and 2. the most practical and efficient way to get this data onto OSM?

In any case, I look forward to your input and feedback. In addition, I
recently subscribed to the Import-US email list (I am not sure if what I am
doing is 100% the right thing by simply sending this from my email and not
some other platform).

Sincerely,
Ian