[Imports] Fwd: Importing West Virginia State Forests Boundary

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Wed Aug 11 21:18:06 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 13:15 2021-08-11, Frederik Ramm đã viết:
> * There's a bunch of bubbly residential areas that nobody tracing from
> aerial imagery would classify as such. For example, why is
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/863679643 shaped the way it is and why
> does it have this little hole in the South? If that is the "official"
> data then maybe OSM is better off without it.

To me, the specific characteristics of the imported landuse data in
Rhode Island are somewhat off-topic, since the proposal is to import a
different kind of data in a very different geography. But for what it's
worth, that little hole is apparently a pond. Reasonable people have
disagreed over whether to exclude a pond from landuse areas when it sits
at the edge between the two areas. I suppose the argument is that a
manual mapper would've added the pond, but don't say that too loudly or
someone will suggest a water import. ;-)

> * Why do neighbouring large landuse polygons duplicate tens of thousands
> of nodes instead of being modelled as relations both sharing one way?

If Brian had done that where I map, I would've pleaded for the import to
be reworked or reverted. Ways sharing nodes, sure, but modeling landuse
areas as relations just because they border each other would be
incredibly unfriendly to any mapper who has to maintain the data as
landuse changes in the future. Even then, there's debate over whether
landcover like woods should even be connected to landuse=residential,
due to things like wooded lots, which are very common where I map and
across much of West Virginia.

I suspect your point about conlation would become more relevant if
there's any interest in importing an actual landuse dataset, given
Attila's prolific hand-drawing of landuse areas in West Virginia over
the past year. But anyways, back to boundaries...

> (For
> example, since it appears that the plan is to import boundaries here, I
> would be interested to learn of any conflation plans with existing
> administrative boundaries if/where state forests should coincide with
> them?)

Do you mean that the protected area relations should reuse the ways that
are members of the administrative boundary relations, or that they
should consist of new ways that share nodes with the existing ways?
Either form of conflation would be a rather aggressive step that I would
caution against even with manual mapping. Better to keep the boundaries
separate unless you know otherwise.

In the U.S., state park boundaries correspond to property lines but,
like property lines, often don't neatly correspond to municipal or
county administrative boundaries. I'd imagine this to be especially true
in states that were surveyed with metes and bounds, like Rhode Island
and West Virginia. By contrast, boundaries are a bit neater under the
Public Land Survey System, which is why you often see a checkerboard
pattern in parklands out west. But just the other day I mapped an
incorporated town in Indiana (PLSS) that sits inside a state park inside
another state park, so the boundary situation is far from rational no
matter the survey method.

The other mitigating factor is that West Virginia is one of the less
densely populated states, so I'd assume most state forest boundaries
would be somewhat far away from any municipal boundary.

I do agree that local residents should help to monitor this import, just
in case there are any blind spots. Luckily, there are a couple West
Virginians on OSMUS Slack, so I'd encourage keeping them in the loop, if
for no other reason than they'll be partly responsible for maintaining
this data going forward.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us