[Imports] Fwd: Importing West Virginia State Forests Boundary

Adam Franco adamfranco at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 14:52:42 UTC 2021

> > On 12 Aug 2021, at 08:38, Mateusz Konieczny via Imports <
> imports at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> I disagree. For simple polygons (few nodes), overlapping ways might be the
> easiest to maintain representation, but as an editor I would always prefer
> a multipolygon to tens or hundreds of reused/overlapping nodes in
> overlapping ways.

As a heavy land-cover mapper I agree that multipolygons are vastly easier
to improve over time than to try to disconnect overlapping ways.

That said, unless I'm misreading the wiki the import being discussed
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/West_Virginia_State_Forests_Import>
is about State Forest (protected area) boundaries not land-cover/land-use.
I'd rather not have folks doing land-cover/land-use imports from poor data,
but I'm of the opinion that protected area boundaries are often a very good
candidate for [careful] importing if the data are of good quality.