[Imports] Fwd: Importing West Virginia State Forests Boundary

Attila Kun attila at attilakundev.com
Fri Aug 13 10:08:54 UTC 2021

By the way, I was the initiator to make this import real, just i was
like "I want someone else to do the import rather me doing, because i
didn't do such a boundary import", but after you said this should be
rethought, i'm going to grab the opportunity, and do a pilot import as
Friendly_Ghost suggested on OSM World Discord this means, only one state
forest which is a multipolygon.

Also I'm going to be careful, since i saw some data mess in it,
especially at Coopers Rock S.F. and Cabwaylingo S.F.

I mean by mess, that there are some ways which belongs to the same State
Forest  as the main relation but they're not members it and the data on
them is just a redundancy i should say. So i just delete the data from
them and then add them to the main relation as an outer member (because
it's not in the big relation but rather a smaller member outside of it).

To be honest. I started discussing it first on OSM US Slack, because
that's where i initiate my thoughts and many people like Kevin Kenny,
Minh, Brian added some comments on it (and Sterling, the local West
Virginian was astonished that i'm doing this improvement"), what should
i do, but no one had any objections. If any of the OSM US Slack members
say "this is not alright", then i wouldn't have started it.

I always ask first before do anything, which has been always a good
trait of me, however we have to follow the OSM's guidelines on import
that means everything is okay, and I always like to explain why data
should be imported, especially when we got permissions to use them.

Although if i don't do anything, then it won't be completed, so i'll
start importing Cabwaylingo State Forest first, and then post here the
results, and if you say, the data quality of it is okay, i'll continue
with the rest. Also, I'm going to say, I'm going to delete the GNIS
imported nodes, because those are unnecessary, especially the fact that
the relations have more precise data and not like a data spam of when it
was created like the gnis: tags.