[Imports] Spanish mountain ranges import.

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 17:18:50 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 7 Feb 2021, at 14:16, Diego Cruz <ginkarasu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't expect any member of the community to start arguing about the verifiability of a certain mountain range, because everybody knows this is not verifiable. We have just chosen to follow the official data from the National Geographic Institute, because they are a source as good as any other and they are complete and not expected to cause controversy.
>
> The map is full of unverifiable natural features right now and that is perfectly fine. This import just saves us the time of adding these data manually following the same source, because that's what many of us would follow anyway, as imperfect and unverifiable as it may be.

if the data is clearly not verifiable, I agree it should not be added. Verifiability is a core requirement. There would be no use from importing it, we could not improve such data, and any modification could only introduce errors (meaning differences to the authoritative source) or at best have no effect at all. OpenStreetMap is not a project to redistribute open geodata from other sources, it is about creating and maintaining the data. If we admitted every kind of public data, we would soon come beyond our limits, the world is full of open data nowadays. Every piece we import or add is also a burden for the community.

Getting back to verifiability, IMHO the requirement is not (as it seems to be written in the wiki https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Verifiability ) that any two mappers would draw the exact same geometry. They would draw a similar geometry. It would be ok if one mapper drew a single polygon landuse=forest where another one drew 3, together covering approximately the same area, both could be seen as “correct” and verifiable, although they might differ in tiny details.

Mountain ranges are a bit different, I would not see them as natural features, they are much more cultural features (people have decided which mountains belong together and get a common name), so you might eventually get the same answers for  the question which summits belong to the same range.

Cheers Martin