[Imports] Spanish mountain ranges import.

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Sun Feb 7 18:08:27 UTC 2021

On Sunday 07 February 2021, Diego Cruz wrote:

> We are well aware that the position and limits of mountain ranges are
> arbitrary, but we are trying to follow a pragmatic and constructive
> approach here. Given the general consensus, I don't expect any member
> of the community to start arguing about the verifiability of a
> certain mountain range, because everybody knows this is not
> verifiable. We have just chosen to follow the official data from the
> National Geographic Institute, because they are a source as good as
> any other and they are complete and not expected to cause
> controversy.

I regard it very positively that you openly state that you don't want to
follow the verifiability principle here.

Verifiability - like almost everything else in OSM - is not a hard rule
that needs to be obeyed without questioning.  But if you decide not to
follow this principle it is important to do so openly and accept the
consequences and social implications of that decision.  I for example
don't think i could have any kind of meaningful discussion on tagging
and mapping in OSM across culture barriers (like with a mapper from
Spain) without verifiability as a common basis for that discussion.
But if in Spain you don't have this problem who am i to say this can't
be?

--
Christoph Hormann
https://www.imagico.de/