[Imports] Spanish mountain ranges import.

Sergio Quintero squinterog75 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 00:28:53 UTC 2021

El dom, 7 feb 2021 a las 18:40, Mateusz Konieczny (<matkoniecz at tutanota.com>)
escribió:
>Note that complaint is specifically about
>diffuse, basically impossible to verify data.

That's not true at all. I've already given several examples to illustrate
how the imported data can be easily verified just as any other natural
element on the map: by local mappers, by local knowledge, by topo maps, by
online resources, by books... Until now nobody has refuted any of this
options with serious arguments, other than "I think it's not verifiable",
"I think it's not a good idea", "Im' not sure about that", "Imports have
created problems in the past", "I don't like imports", and such.
I'm sure the whole process might benefit with a serious discussion about
these aspects, but I'm still waiting for a single solid argument about
that.

>And what happens when someone
>wants to move imported node 5km
>toward North?

That's an interesting and pertinent question, for sure.

The answer is: exactly the same as if someone wants to move any place=city
node 5km toward North: it would be probably reverted.

To illustrate what I'm saying, please, to check again this sample:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Ejemplo_Importaci%C3%B3n_mountain_range2.png

I think we all agree with the fact that if somebody would move the central
node of the image ("Sierra de las Herrumbres")  5 km to the North, that
would undeniably constitute an error, and it would have to be reverted.

At this point, it's important to remember that we are speaking about an
specific set of data from an specific country, with some very particular
orographical characteristics that we have to keep in mind in order to
properly discuss this particular import. Spain is a country with, literally
THOUSANDS of local, small Sierras, and thus, from the 5400 nodes to import,
I would say that 99% are of this type. I cannot insist more in this aspect
because I think that some of the communication problems we are experiencing
here come from the fact that most people from outside of Spain are simply
not used to this kind of element and think we are going to import thousands
of 200 km long mountain ranges as nodes, which is absolutely not the case.

So, in short, the hypothetical problem you're describing here simply won't
appear in the vast majority of the cases. Having said that, you're right in
pointing out the problem when working with really big mountain_ranges, as
the Alpes, the Himalayas or the Pirineos. My personal opinion is that we
could import these handful of elements also as nodes, and add some wikidata
tags on them, but we could also import them as lines, exactly the same that
the Alpes or the Himalayas are mapped now. Or we could also decide not to
import that particular nodes at all, which would be also an option.

Anyway, it's an open, incidental, question that I'm sure we can easily
solve and that doesn't have any effect over the vast majority of the data.