[Imports] Update: New York State GIS SAM Address Points Import

Skyler Hawthorne osm at dead10ck.com
Wed Feb 17 01:32:46 UTC 2021

Hi everyone, just as a quick update, I've imported Columbia County. I'm just noticing now that many of the addresses marked for review as "repeat address" are because the address points in the data have a Building field that I did not account for. It denotes situations where there are several buildings that all have the same primary address, but each building is labeled with "Building 10," etc.

After looking at some more of the available fields, I also see there are some repeat addresses that are also only disambiguated with the Room field as well. I will be pausing the import until I can add these fields, and when I have something working, I'll selectively redo the import in the affected address points.

It looks like the most straightforward mapping for Room would be the addr:door tag. However, I do not see something that maps well to Building. I asked in the tagging list, and it seems the most established key in use for this is either addr:housename or ref. Which is more appropriate I think just depends on your interpretation of what the Building label is philosophically: a title (name) of a building (house) or a reference identifier. I think I'm more inclined to use addr:housename myself, though I'm interested in others' thoughts.

(As an aside, it seems like there really should be a addr:building tag, but I don't really want to pause for however long going through the proposal process could take.)