[Imports] [Imports-us] Draft proposal for import of New York State GIS SAM Address Points

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Tue Jan 12 22:06:08 UTC 2021

On 1/12/2021 12:09 AM, Skyler Hawthorne wrote:

> Hi everyone. If there are no objections, I'd like to begin importing
> some data within the next few days. I've moved the wiki page to a
> subpage of New York, and I've added it to the Import Catalogue. I've
> also made a dedicated user account for the import named
> "nysgissam_dead10ck". I've been given access to create projects on the
> US HOT Tasking Manager, so I'll make a project there before beginning,
> and paste the link here, so progress can be tracked.
>
> As I mentioned, my plan is to start with a single county and apply
> more scrutiny to the data. This will allow me opportunities to detect
> bugs and corner cases in my conversion program before uploading the
> data. If I eventually get to a point where I'm happy with the data,
> I'll consider asking everyone if it would be appropriate to automate
> the import.

[ The new wiki page is
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_York/NYS_GIS_SAM_Address_Points_Import
]

Hi Skyler, I'm a mapper active in the Catskills (mostly Ulster County)
and in NYC. I'm happy to see this import plan progressing! Some comments
below.

Re: Tagging Plans

I feel there's little value in importing addr:state=NY with these
addresses, since we have well-mapped state borders and the state is also
unambiguously encoded in the ZIP code. I wonder if there are good
examples of addresses that would truly benefit from this field, possibly
on properties that are very near state lines. (We also share a border
with Canada of course, so perhaps a similar case could be made for
addr:country in the northern reaches of Franklin and Clinton counties.)

I like your plan to use the value of nysgissam:review to specify why the
review is deemed necessary. I'd love to see a list of the possible
values, but I assume that's still evolving.

Re: Data Reduction & Conflation

"... checked against an Overpass API for whether the address already
exists within a short distance of the point. If any element with the
same house number, street, or unit exists, then the address point is
skipped." Perhaps I'm misreading this, but it seems to say you will not
import an address point if you find another element nearby tagged with
the same addr:street? I'd expect to see many instances where a
currently-mapped address neighbors an unmapped address on the same
street, sometimes quite nearby in dense areas. This sounds like it might
exclude a lot of valid addresses.

What's your reasoning behind not conflating address points that lie
within a building:part? Not a big issue I presume, just curious.

Re: Modifying Existing Elements

Personally I would love to see city and ZIP added to currently-mapped
addresses that lack them. Maybe also consider flagging for review when
currently-mapped values don't match the SAM values. I'm less keen on
adding nysgissam:nysaddresspointid to addresses that didn't originate
with this import, since I'd like to be able to tell at a glance if a
given address was mapped or imported. Perhaps there could be some
variation in the tagging... nysgissam:imported_addressid versus
nysgissam:matched_addressid?

Re: Addresses of new developments

It makes sense to add addresses to parcels where construction has
actually commenced, but IMO adding recordkeeping addresses to completely
undeveloped land strains the spirit of OSM a bit. If there's truly no
way to distinguish between these two types of development status, I feel
that the upside of importing them probably still outweighs the downside.

Numbered Routes

Browsing through the online map of the SAM address points (
http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgisservices.its.ny.gov%2Farcgis%2Frest%2Fservices%2FSAM_Address_Points%2FMapServer&source=sd
) I see a lot of variation on how the numbered routes, and the street
names of the associated address points, are named. Eg, Route 23, State
Route 23, State Highway 23. And of course the current data on OSM is
just as messy. I can't help but think this might be a good time to
discuss standardizing these statewide.

Similarly for US routes: Route 6, United States Route 6, United States
Highway 6.

New York City

There was a full import of building footprints and conflated address
data for all 5 NYC boros in 2013, from the city's own open data.
Wondering if there's any special consideration given to integrating with
these, or is it better to just wall it off and work strictly from the
city's data?

...These are the questions that occurred so far. They do not constitute
an objection to beginning a small test import! Good luck and keep us
informed. When this begins to roll out for real, I hope to be able to
assist with the import and/or QA labor.

Thanks, Jason