[Imports] Import user required or not for manual import work?

Anders Torger anders at torger.se
Thu Mar 25 10:24:14 UTC 2021

Hello,

I have a question about formalities around manual imports, specifically
when an import user account is required.

The Swedish NVDB import which we look at formalizing now is generally
not to cover new ground, ~90% of roads already exist, but to refresh
existing geometry and enrich/update tags and correct the many positional
errors that exist, and of course be able to say that 100% of our
nationally documented roads also exist in OSM with just as good
precision.

A script exists to convert NVDB shape files to an OSM layer. No
automation exist for actually getting it into the OSM database though,
that's a normal JOSM workflow, and includes several manual steps to
adjust certain things in the script-converted layers that the NVDB data
can't get right, mainly the OSM highway type and bridges/tunnels, but
also adding things like turning circles and fixing quirks that may
appear in naming.

While the external database provides road geometry, quite often more
modifications is done to existing nature and buildings as these often
have considerable alignment errors and need to be realigned to match
correctly aligned roads. All this is done manually of course.

The work-intensive merging process with many adjustment of new and old
means that compared to mapping work where you nowadays typically trace
the NVDB roads by hand from the raster layer (which exits pre-loaded in
JOSM and has better positional alignment than available aerials) the
speed is about 5 - 10 times faster with better precision. Change sets
become the same as with manual mapping, ie multiple small areas that
come at a slow rate. Personally I would do about 100 - 200 road segments
per changeset, and 1 - 5 changesets per day, which means 15 - 30 days
for a normal sized municipality (there are 290 municipalities in
Sweden). While I sometimes do mapping marathons with a high number of
changesets per day, if I would do everything myself it would still take
about 10 - 15 years to go through Sweden.

The import aspect of it is tags like maxspeed, access restrictions,
oneway etc which you can't see on aerials or the raster representation.

While the import process needs formal approval, I still don't really see
this process as a typical import, but rather a way to speed up what is
already done manually (there are several examples of Swedish mappers
using NVDB data on their own already to speed up their personal mapping,
and this is already widely accepted).

What I wanted to get to is that I don't see the need to use a specific
import user for this type of work. It's so manual, and it's so
intertwined and overlapping with normal maintenance work, and the NVDB
geometry already exist in raster form in JOSM and is widely used even by
casual iD mappers. What do you think?

/Anders