[Imports] Importing GEOnet Names Server Data of Sudan

Marc_marc marc_marc at mailo.com
Mon May 3 10:54:25 UTC 2021

Hello,

Even if it's post-import, thanks for taking the time to discuss it here

Le 03.05.21 à 12:28, Saeed Hubaishan a écrit :
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GNS_Import_for_Yemen_and_Others

it is in my opinion 2x wrong to add a lake with with place=locality
fixme = "This is a lake imported from GNS, draw as area, copy tags from
node, and tag it as natural=water and water=lake, and clear
place=locality tag, delete the node"

1) if it's a lake, don't create a place=locality, upload a natural=water
water=lake
2) having a node is perfectly valid, it is not the role of fixme key to
point to all the nodes and say "make it a surface". being a node that
can be upgraded to a surface is already described by the node object type.

same for marsh, pond, stream, valley, wetland

about forest reserve : imho it's not needed and maybe wrong to add the
landuse=forest (because for some contributors, this describes a forestry
exploitation area, in your place I would run away from this tag)

GNS:id : I don't see which object couldn't be matched next time without
this reference, especially since an import must anyway conflate with
existing objects, even if they don't have a ref, to avoid any duplication
and it's more common to put ref into ref: namespace

GNS:dsg_code : i didn't understand the usecase to have it in osm,
it's look like garbahe for osm user.

GNS:dsg_name -> name key ?

Regards,
Marc