[josm-dev] JOSM slippy_map_chooser plugin: some questions

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Tue Dec 11 23:08:27 GMT 2007

Hi!

I've just had a look at the slippy_map_chooser plugin. Compared to the
other ways available I think this is by far the best way to select a
download bounding box!

What really confused me was that you have to select a "yellow rectangle"
to mark the area to be downloaded - I guess this is done to be similar
with the "map" tab, but IMO this map should simply be replaced by the
slippy_map_chooser completely.

While trying the slippy_map_chooser, I was simply expecting that the
whole dialog screen would be the bounding box for download. This would
make it *much* easier to understand and use IMHO. I've just zoomed into
the slippy_map so I got the right cutout and clicked ok - only getting
some strange behaviour (a bounding box of a few thousand kilometers and
"no input data" warning).

Would it be possible to just remove the "yellow rectangle" logic and
simply download the "whole visible screen" of the dialog?
Would it be possible to add the plugin sources into the osm subversion
(e.g. into
svn.openstreetmap.org\applications\editors\josm\plugins\slippy_map_chooser)?

Regards, ULFL