[josm-dev] UI development

Gabriel Ebner ge at gabrielebner.at
Sat Dec 15 10:47:04 GMT 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 10:32:54AM +0000, Gervase Markham wrote:
> I'm trying to update my proposal for the JOSM UI based on the feedback.
> However, I'm having trouble understanding some of the things people have
> written.

Thank you for that.

> - Someone has added various actions related to GPX track points to the
> "possible actions list". However, as I understand it, GPX track points
> are just points in a particular layer - i.e. they would be manipulated
> in all ways the same as nodes, when that layer is the current layer. Is
> this true? If not, what have I missed?

No, currently you can't directly edit a GPX layer.  You'd have to convert it
to an OSM layer first.

> - Someone has added "Delete segment". I thought segments were no longer
> part of the data model?

Yes, the server knows of no such thing as a segment; however sometimes you
want to delete just a part of a way:

    +----+----+----+----+----+

    +----+----+    +----+----+

> - Someone has added "Split ways with duplicating nodes at identical
> positions (yielding not connected ways)". I'm not quite sure what that
> means, but I thought that was how splitting a way would work. What other
> options are there?

Currently when you split a way at a node, you'll get two ways, and they'll
share the node where you split them.  What the OP wanted are two ways that
don't share this node, i.e. duplicate the node and use one for the first way
and one for the second.

> It has been suggested that the same mouse button could be used for
> selection and panning; the map is panned if you click and drag on an
> area with no nodes or ways. However, it seems to me that this would have
> problems when you are zoomed out, because there would be no area of the
> map to grab hold of, because there are nodes everywhere. What do people
> think?

I'm actually quite comfortable using right-click for panning.  However I've
always used JOSM with mice that have at least two buttons.  (Panning using
left-click is probably more of an issue with mice that only have a single
button.)

  Gabriel.