[josm-dev] Jumbo Patch

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Dec 16 10:42:24 GMT 2007

Hi,

> I guess you are one of those people who compete in those contests to
> write an algorithm in C in the minimum number of characters, damn
> the readability?

No, readability is exactly what this is about. If you put lots of
lines in your code that don't do anything, then someone else trying to
work with your code has to sieve through all this stuff to get to the
place where something happens.

> I mean, really, who gives a stuff if you have extra lines
> of code in your source files!

The human being who tries to make sense of those source files. The
compiler doesn't care, of course. But that's exactly the argument I am
making - if you are the only one working with the code, then you can
have any number of auto-generated extra lines in there and will still
find your way. But if the code is supposed to be readable by others,
then you best keep it simple.

Bye
Frederik