[josm-dev] JOSM menu: lot's of minor updates completed

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Sun Nov 11 20:07:02 GMT 2007

Hi!

At this weekend, I've worked on the menu to be easier to use, conform to
common standards and all that. While I might not reached all my goals,
this was at least a step forward IMO.

So these are the things I've done:

- make keyboard shortcuts "visible" - this makes it far easier to
recognize those shortcuts. They were formerly only mentioned in the
menus tooltips, but not in the menu entries text
- Edit/Redo now uses Crtl+Y (the common shortcut) and not Ctrl+Shift+Z
- Edit/Select All and Unselect All switched icons (having more "visual
weight" on the unselect than the select icon makes no sense)
- View/Zoom To/Zoom To xy reduced to View/Zoom To xy
- the order of the Tools menu items have changed to a sequence of most
to less used (might need further tweaks)
- new "Tools/Join node to way" function in the Tools menu (functionality
actually just moved from the UtilsPlugin into the core)
- all menu items that lead to a dialog requesting further user input now
have a " ..." appended to their name (except for the "Presets")

Plugins:

OpenVisible: menu item moved up, just below the Open item
UtilsPlugin: "Simplify Way" moved from the left toolbar into the Tools menu
LiveGPS/Surveyor: all menu items have icons and keyboard shortcuts now,
top levelmenu item "LiveGps" moved to the right
WMS: "Blank Layer" now has a (simple) icon, "Rectified Image" now has a
24*24 pixel icon (now it'the icon is centered in the menu), top
levelmenu item moved to the right

In order to make icons available in the menus, lot's of the Actions are
now derived from JosmAction. As a side effect they will now appear in
the selection of toolbar icons.

The core should have the new function already available or will at least
tomorrow. However, none of the Plugins are already updated.

What the menu (and other parts of the GUI) still really missing, is the
"greying out" of elements that currently makes no sense. E.g. "Save"
should not be active, if no data was loaded before. Please don't
underestimate this, this makes the GUI a lot easier and enjoyable to
work with.

Unfortunately, I currently don't have enough knowledge of the JOSM
internals to implement this properly ...

Regards, ULFL