[josm-dev] [OSM-talk] JOSM and 0.5 (was: Does potlatch make it too easy for people to unintentionally screw things up?)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 12 23:26:46 BST 2007

Hi,

> This does look and feel better! I really like how the node, drawing
> action works, nice and simple.
>
> However there's a couple of things that I found myself having
> trouble with:

> Selecting and then moving stuff is extremely easy to do,

Others have said the same, albeit with another angle - they said that
it is easy to move something which you only wanted to click-select.

Incidentally, Richard Fairhurst just posted about how he solved this
in Potlatch - by not only measuring the distance travelled by the
mouse but also the time between pressing and releasing the mouse
button. We might need something like that.

> I found myself on a number of occasions moving entire ways quite
> accidentally, as I had just selected something, then wanted to use
> the select-rubber-band tool to select something else as well, only
> to find myself dragging the item instead. Not sure if it would be
> any worse on a laptop track pad.

Hm, I had that a lot with conventional drawing programs. Maybe it is
true that moving is a less frequent operation in JOSM and should be
made more difficult. On the other hand I liked the similarities with
drawing programs.

> The other thing, related to this, is is there a way to select multiple
> objects (shift-select), rather than rubber banding around the objects
> I want to select?

Fixed by Gabriel this afternoon and already available in a
freshly-built josm-latest.jar.

Bye
Frederik