[josm-dev] JOSM and 0.5 (was: Does potlatch make it too easy for people to unintentionally screw things up?)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Oct 13 20:31:39 BST 2007

Hi,

> I completely agree.  I'm using 352 (no, I do not update daily), and
> this version moves nodes all the time.  For example, if two ways
> cross and you click "Add node into way", it does not add the node
> into way, but move the node to the click point and then connects
> the way(s) to this now location.

But this is something completely different to what the others have
said. The others have complained about node moves that are in fact
based on a real mouse movement and found JOSM to be too sensitive
there. Your example is one where a node is newly created (not moved!),
and it is created exactly at your mouse position.

Pre-0.5 versions of JOSM had special code for this which would compute
the position along the existing segment that is nearest to your click
position, and then put the new node not at your click position but at
that computed point. Maybe we need to reinstate that.

Bye
Frederik