[josm-dev] Tagging Presets

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Wed Oct 17 22:09:39 BST 2007

Frederik Ramm schrieb:
>     JOSM revision 399, which can be downloaded from now on, has a
> built-in palette of "tagging presets".

First of all, thanks for bringing this to life! IMHO, this is another
great step in the right direction to make JOSM easier to work with (and
not only for newbies).

Some nitpicking (as always from me):

The menu items should be "grayed out", if no item "on the map" is
selected. Otherwise you'll enter stuff, and then notice that nothing was
selected and your entry is lost ;-)

We should try to merge the icons between mappaint and the presets
wherever possible. This makes it easier to work with - it's a bit
strange to see a different icon in the menu and "on the map". And I'm
really not want to say that "my mappaint" icons are better than the
preset ones - in fact I tend to use some of them in mappaint ;-)))

Would it be possible to use submenus to select things (where possible)?
This would make usage easier / faster. For example, selecting "Foods and
Drinks" will show a dialog. Then you'll have to select the drop-down
"triangle", then select the item you want, then select the "name box",
then enter the name, then press enter.
If you could select "Foods and Drinks / Restaurant" directly in the
menu, you could then enter the name and just press enter - much faster
to work with! Of course, this is not possible for the more complex
dialogs like the "Restrictions" dialog.

Again, my nitpicking wasn't meant to discourage your work in any way -
in fact I'm very pleased to see that there's real progress in this
direction :-)

Regards, ULFL