[josm-dev] Geometry support

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 9 08:35:08 BST 2008

Frederik

Thanks for having a crack at this. Will have a test run during my next edit
session. From what you have said it sounds like it’s a perfect way of
drawing rectangles in a visual way. CAD goes one step further of course in
that you can set the distance of the offset. Clearly we don’t yet think
distance in OSM but can see in the future that some will want to offset a
specified distance if objects are being measured, but I don’t see a real
great need for it now, although an option to snap to an offset distance
would be a great way to round off the tool. That facility could also be used
for drawing parallel objects as well.

I find that I drag a way all too often inadvertently when moving nodes, ie I
accidentally end up selecting the way rather than the node. So I'd certainly
be happy to try the function for all way drags to get rid of the extra mode.
I guess we would want a modifier to enable the actual move of a whole way. I
do occasionally move whole ways (areas normally) that have been drawn from
landsat where a shift needs to be made to fit with later mapping from GPS.

Cheers

Andy