[josm-dev] Geometry support

Stefan Baebler stefan.baebler at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 06:06:26 BST 2008

Quick impressions of the new extrude feature:
- drawing a L shaped building leaves an extra (redundant) node after
extruding the second part (can be fixed with "delete unnecesarry nodes
from a way" button)
- missing the initial angle a bit is hard to fix without redrawing from
scratch (or giving up perfect right angles). Full geometry support would
require rotate, resize,drawing rectangles, ellipses...

While testing this feature today i still ran into many complex buildings
(eg schools with connected appendixes and city blocks with inner court
yards) that were much easier to make an outline by hand than to use the
extrude tool.

Since the raster image from WMS is usually the basis for outlining
buildings it might be better to think in this direction - with a
dedicated "building outliner" tool (like lakewalker that i never managed
to use so far). User would select some small area on top of the building
so that tool determines what color to trace, then detect edges and
adjust the nodes slightly so that shape gets right (90 degree) angles.

I know, a patch is welcome, but this time you specifically asked for
feedback :)

Stefan