[josm-dev] License clarification for JOSM plugins

Giovanni Mascellani g.mascellani at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 19:42:19 BST 2008

All'incirca Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:06:34 +0200,  Ulf Lamping
<ulf.lamping at web.de> sembrerebbe aver scritto:

> Well, first of all, there's already a debian package for JOSM and the
> Plugins in the osm subversion which is maintained by Joerg Ostertag.

I wasn't aware of this. Are these packages kept up-to-date? Could you
please give me an exact link? (OSM SVN is quite slow for me right now,
so it's a pain to search for the .debs you're talking about). :-)

> Anyway, please be careful that you can/should distribute JOSM (and
> it's plugins) under GPL v3!!!
>
> The provided JOSM license text LICENSE states V2 and unless all JOSM
> and Plugin files clearly states "GPLv2 or later" somewhere (which
> they don't do AFAIK), there's no legal way IMHO  to provide JOSM
> under GPLv3 - as the license versions are not compatible.

Well, if someone tells me "GPL" my understatement is that he's talking
about any version on the GPL, just like, if he told me about "a
flower", I would understand "a flower of any color", not just "a yellow
flower".

Most of the files in JOSM SVN report just "GPL". A few others are more
clear: "GPLv2 or later". Some files don't have copyright notices. And I
spotted right now a file which is copyrighted by Sun and distributed
under a Sun's license, but it shouldn't be a problem for Debian.

That's precisely what I'm asking you: could you please make the
licensing terms more clear?

Here is the list without licensing notice, if this can ease your work:
 * command/RotateCommand.java
 * gui/mappaint/IconElemStyle.java
 * gui/mappaint/ElemStyles.java
 * gui/mappaint/ElemStyleHandler.java
 * gui/mappaint/AreaElemStyle.java
 * gui/mappaint/ElemStyle.java
 * gui/mappaint/MapPaintStyles.java
 * gui/mappaint/LineElemStyle.java
 * gui/dialogs/RelationListDialog.java
 * gui/dialogs/RelationEditor.java
 * gui/layer/markerlayer/PlayHeadMarker.java
 * gui/preferences/AudioPreference.java
 * tools/FallbackDateParser.java
 * tools/PrimaryDateParser.java
 * tools/Pair.java
 * data/osm/DateFormatter.java
 * data/osm/RelationMember.java
 * data/osm/Relation.java

Regards, Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <g.mascellani at gmail.com>
Pisa, Italy

Web: http://giomasce.altervista.org
SIP: g.mascellani at ekiga.net
Jabber: g.mascellani at jabber.org / giovanni at elabor.homelinux.org
GPG: 0x5F1FBF70 (FP: 1EB6 3D43 E201 4DDF 67BD  003F FCB0 BB5C 5F1F BF70)