[josm-dev] Bug 595 - Virtual nodes - Comments requested

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Mon Aug 18 09:42:40 BST 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, David Earl wrote:

>> That would have been high on my list to implement as well...
>
> Why would you want it, when SHIFT+CLICK does this? Or do you want it
> *exactly* half way? If you add a new node, I guess there are two things
> you might want to do next - extend a way from the new node, in which
> case you'd have to change mode, so the cross is less useful, or drag the
> new node to, say, improve a curve, which might be marginally easier if
> you are already in select mode (avoiding one 'S' keypress).

If you have an old very inaccurate way (let's say the first entered
primary streets here in Germany) and you want to change that to the GPS
track you have. You have to switch dozens of times between S and A to
create nodes, drag them, create more, check them, ...

> Personally I would prefer to work towards more modeless operation than
> introducing another way of doing the same thing to work around switching
> modes.

Actually this is the same. Or where do you see the difference between
modeless and everything can be done in one mode.

Only 1 more step:
- Implement drawing ways in select mode and Add is no longer required and
   you have modeless editing. Start drawing mode using a key and ESC to
   stop is probably the best way to do this. Is C like "C"reate already
   used?

Should be relatively easy.