[josm-dev] Difference between JOSM and JOSM-NG

Petr Nejedly Petr.Nejedly at Sun.COM
Mon Aug 18 13:04:49 BST 2008

Petr Nejedly napsal(a):
> Dirk Stöcker napsal(a):
>> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>>
>>> Gerv also hinted at the fact that JOSM is written in a way that is
>>> somewhat untypical for Java, and whenever a newcomer to JOSM programming
>>> said "this is all bullshit let's refactor it wholesale" I told them to
>>> please find another project to refactor wholesale. I always thought that
>>> the peculiar way in which JOSM is done has a lot going for it and makes
>>> it easy to work with the code.
>
> When we're at it, I'm not sure the way josm is written makes it any easier
> to work with the code. Using accessors is the standard way every java programmer
> understands and the code clutter is not much of an argument.
> Moreover, josm uses unusual L10N way (I must admit that for a reason this time,
> though not a strong one) and unusual (and harder for anybody writing DataSet
> modification actions, easier to break) undo system.

Well, I should know better than to (re)start a flamewar and leave for a vacation :-)
I'll try to answer comments/questions relevant to josm-ng later today...

--
Petr "Nenik" Nejedly, NetBeans/Sun Microsystems, http://www.netbeans.org
355/113 -- Not the famous irrational number PI, but an incredible simulation!