[josm-dev] Refactoring of the JOSM architecture vs. Plugins

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 19 02:01:03 BST 2008

Frederik Ramm schrieb:

>> I don't see that NG or NG-2 would fly at this point.
>
> I don't see why not.

Well, I hope you actually *do* see the point - as I know personally that
you're really not an ignorant :-)

I'm astonished why everybody is so eager about
> fussing around with a piece of software they think has the crappiest
> design ever when they could instead contribute to a clean, new approach.

Well, it's not about the "crappiest design ever" vs. the "clean room
approach".

In reality it's the question between taking current JOSM into a way to
be more maintainable IMHO (but that's obviously discussable). Any I've
spend some time with the JOSM sources ...

I mean, JOSM is implemented in JAVA, so there will be a certain kind of
developers interested in improving JOSM - which usually has JAVA
experience. Simply ignoring how JAVA is usually implemented is probably
not the best way to threat things here.

> I'd rather have those people who are comfortable with the way JOSM is
> written work with JOSM, and those who are not work with JOSM-NG, and I
> have no doubt that if you'd invest in JOSM-NG the same time you're
> willing to spent refactoring JOSM, then JOSM-NG would indeed fly. The
> sheer rendering performance would make many people want to switch.

Frederik, by simply ignoring the obvious demands of many of the
interested developers, IMHO you're simply doing a bad job in maintaining
JOSM :-(

If there is great demand from the community (and there obviously is),
you as a project develop lead shouldn't simply say "I don't like it ..."
- so we don't do it.

I mean, instead of simply saying "I don't like it", wouldn't it be
better to encourage people to focus their work to do minor steps to
improve things?

Again, I mean, if you wouldn't categorically refuse changes to the
overall JOSM design, where *could* the JOSM architecture already be today?

Regards, Ulfl