[josm-dev] Bug 595 - Virtual nodes - Comments requested

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 19 11:20:13 BST 2008

David Earl wrote:

> I wonder - are you worrying that having added a node there is an elastic
> line emanating from it? This is only indicating what _will_ happen if
> you were to click, not what has happened already. You can just ignore
> the line, e.g. if the next thing you do is to press the "Add Tag"
> button. If you hold shift down, the elastic line goes away, indicating
> that the action will then be to create an unconnected node. If the
> elastic lines are worrying you, why not turn them off? Personally I find
> them helpful because they show me what will happen next with the various
> modifier keys.

Now we're hitting on something here. Psychology.

I too find the elastic band disturbing at some level. I realise no map
element is really there yet, but still I find myself routinely hitting
'S' to get rid of it, even if I don't have to. Apparently I like a clean
slate before I perform more actions.

Perhaps the vi editor influenced me to *always* be sure of my keys and
edit mode, before I do the next action. ;)

--
Lennard