[josm-dev] Validator

Gervase Markham gerv at gerv.net
Wed Aug 20 09:50:48 BST 2008

Dermot McNally wrote:
> It's probably appropriate that we hear from others on this, but if
> there's sufficient consensus that waterways should be deemed to have a
> layer, we should try to get acceptance of the principle that they
> should carry an implicit one of -1 _or_ that Map Features should
> promote the "German Way". But IMHO that's getting us into a world of
> tag-spam. If all waterways require it, it shouldn't require an
> explicit tag to say so.

I think that both waterways and roads are layer 0, "the ground", and
when one crosses another, the upper one should have layer=1 - because
there's air between it and the actual surface of the earth. I would
apply this to any ground-based physical features, not just roads and rivers.

If people are missing layer=1 tags on bridges, then we should either add
them (although not automatically - there might be a ford) or we should
say that bridge automatically implies layer=1, and if you want layer=0
or layer=N you have to say explicitly.

Gerv