[josm-dev] Projections

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 21:36:22 GMT 2008

Being the person who introduced "Lambert Zone France" in Josm, I can
give my opinion about projections in plugin:
Pro:
- more flexible: we are not depending of the Josm developers to commit
the source files although all my requests to commit newer versions of
the sources have always been kindly and quickly done. But it's always
difficult to depend on others.
Con:
- the new projection might be required in several plugins, thus we
take the risk that the same stuff is developed several times or that
the same projection is instanciated in Josm several times for
different plugins.
Perhaps the solution is to keep the original projections EPSG and
Mercator in core and create a "projection" plugin collecting all
projections. In this way, we use the osm subversion repository; we are
sure that one projection is developed only once for all; many
projections could share a common library of functions.

Pieren