[josm-dev] [patch] Build process: Ant does not find svn executable

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 15 08:42:18 GMT 2008

Hi,

Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> Well, I do not like this as well. This is only necessary for the SVN build
> and this also works fine without. So when svn is not available, then ant
> may ignore this part. It also works without.

What is the wider issue behind this. All this is done just so we have a
version number in the Manifest file, is that right? Who uses this
version number?

If so, then I would say that this should be correct in the .jar we
distribute but we should not try and distribute a build.xml that has
these bells and whistles. To my knowledge, SVN version number retrieval
is buggy anyway - if someone checks out JOSM, makes a change, commits
that, then runs the build, the build will still show the pre-commit
revision number; only an "svn update" fixes this.

Bye
Frederik