[josm-dev] Translation

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Dec 23 19:16:39 GMT 2008

Hi,

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> No it is not a good idea, the former assumes that all languages share
> English sentence structure, which they do not.

Well I wasn't suggesting intra-sentence building blocks like

message = tr("You have") + " ";
if (!won) message += tr("not") + " ";
message += "won the jackpot!";

It is obvious that such constructs won't work. But concatenation on the
scale I mentioned must be possible in all languages, otherwise they are
unsuitable for procedural code execution. Think of a loop structure that
outputs a headline ("Calculation results:") and then loops over the
results and prints them - if you say there are languages where one
cannot even rely on such sequential structure then these languages are
unsuitable targets for translation of computer programs, are they not?

Bye
Frederik