[josm-dev] josm-ng progress

Gabriel Ebner ge at gabrielebner.at
Fri Feb 15 12:28:08 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 11:47:10AM +0000, Dermot McNally wrote:
> Cases where uploading fails midway through and can't (easily) be
> completed - due to precondition failure, for instance - suffer from
> the fact that data self-consistency is lost because of the nodes-first
> policy. In such cases, and I've often been victim to it, you end up
> with a stack of nodes and no easy way of laying the ways back down. I
> usually end up deleting the nodes and starting again.

(Workaround: Save it to a .osm file, remove the action='delete' attributes
from the nodes, load it into JOSM, and the upload should work.  JOSM should
probably just ignore 412 errors on deletes. -- Hell, it seems that Dave
Hansen's patch treats 412 errors as success.  Has anybody seen 412 errors
using recent JOSMs?)

This isn't caused by the uploading order, but most probably by the validator
plugin removing duplicate nodes that are still referenced (or the utilsplugin
simplifying such nodes away).

Even if uploading happened in the exact order you entered the data, you could
still lose data if you entered it after the validator plugin has made the fatal
delete.

  Gabriel.