[josm-dev] Audio user interface

Chris Morley c.morley at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Feb 28 10:35:21 GMT 2008

Being able to record a commentary hands-free while surveying and then
use it in JOSM is a great liberation and a big advance by David Earl.
But, like the rest of JOSM, it has been developed incrementally, which
doesn't always make for the best user interface. So forgetting about the
technical difficulties, what would the user (e.g. me) like to see? This
is about the no way-point mode only, which I see as likely to be used
more, if its interface was easy.

The orange progress maker is a great concept. Not only is is fun to see
it moving, it also encapsulates the user understanding "I was here when
I said this". So to provide "what I said when I was here" the obvious
way is to move the marker - drag the orange marker, which would snap to
a GPX track point. This would avoid the current annoying interference
between the audio interface (clicking on an audio icon) and the normal
JOSM interface (selection,  making nodes etc). It would also get rid of
the blizzard of automatic audio markers (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:JOSMAudioMarkers2.png),
which have positions that are arbitrary to the user, and which occupy
more space than is justified by their usefulness.

Calibration is currently complicated and difficult to remember. With
this proposal, the audio would be started and paused at the place you
said NOW. The orange marker would then be SHIFT dragged to the
geographical position that NOW corresponds to. It is is easy to
understand "I *was* here when I said this", with the SHIFT implying
coercion.

It would be good if the interface could show where you were speaking and
where you were silent. Background noise makes this a challenge, but
assuming that it could be achieved, the information could be presented
as a slight enlargement of the gpx points or thickening of any line
connecting them, so that the information can be found if it is looked
for, but the presentation is not too overwhelming if it not.

Chris