[josm-dev] problems with saving files in JOSM

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 16:24:45 GMT 2008

Hi, Frederik,

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi Igor,
>
>> A month or so ago I reported a bug with saving OSM files in JOSM
>> (version from 2007-12-29). Basically, neither the "Save" or "Save As"
>> seem to function after the first saving of newly downloaded OSM data
>> (I'm running it on Windows, by the way). The files does get a new
>> date/time, but when I compare it with the backup file, it is
>> identical, even though I added new nodes and ways into it.
>
> JOSM isn't very clear on this but it only saves the current layer! Is
> it possible that you have added your changes on an extra layer so that
> they did not get saved?

I have only two layers, one with the OSM data and the other with GPX. I
use the OSM layer constantly - and even if I did switch it, I would
notice it since ways & nodes colors change too.
> Try the "merge down" function in the layer context menu before you
> save. Does that help?
I haven't found that function in my JOSM version. But I did one
additional experiment: I saved the OSM layer (through a context menu) to
a completely new file and JOSM did record the changes. But when I repeat
this and do a "Save as" to an existing file, the changes do not get
recorded. So I presume the bug has something to do with JOSM not writing
to an existing file. And BTW: the same applies with the global "Save
as...". Things get recorded only if the file didn't exist previously on
the disk.

Regards,
Igor