[josm-dev] Changes to fix accidental moving

Gervase Markham gerv at gerv.net
Fri Jan 25 11:18:47 GMT 2008

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> The only one I still run into is when trey to select an area I need to
> find a point sufficiently far away from any surrouning node or way,
> otherwise I end up moving said node/way. Especially when you're zoomed
> out a lot, finding somewhere to start the selection area fro mcan be
> quite a challenge.
>
> The only solution I can think of are:

If I may politely re-mention
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/JOSM/UI#New_UI_Design_.28by_Gerv.29_-_version_2
:-)

Drag-select requires Shift, which is the standard key for "add to
selection" - it's just that, in the case you mention, you are starting
with an empty selection. So there is no risk of confusing drag-select
and move.

Without wanting to sound like a broken record, it really would be great
if we could stop trying to fix the UI incrementally ("We need a modifier
key for this extra behaviour - is Alt unused?"), and think about the
whole thing at once, consistency with other apps, most common operations
and so on. That's what I've tried to do in the wiki page above.

I realise that it's quite scary to consider changing a lot of things at
once. To show you it's not quite as scary as it seems, I've edited the
new design to mark things which will stay the same in green. Really, the
big change is the elimination of modes, to make an interface where a
particular command always does the same thing.

Gerv