[josm-dev] Changes to fix accidental moving

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Jan 25 16:56:55 GMT 2008

On 25/01/2008 16:46, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> I can't think of an application that does drag-select with shift only...
>> it's always the mouse without modifiers that selects something (and
>> deselects what you had before), while the shift-mouse adds to a selection.
>
> Initial select is indeed done with the mouse without modifiers. It's
> only drag-select which requires the modifier.
>
> This seemed to me to be a good compromise, given the exact issue that
> Martijn raises - when is a click and drag a move attempt, and when is it
> the beginning of a drag selection? My suggestion is to disambiguate
> using the shift key - hold it down, and you won't accidentally move
> anything.
>
> Other drawing applications may possibly do drag-select without shift,
> but I don't think they generally run into the information density
> problems we have when zoomed out. I've certainly never edited a CAD file
> complex enough that I couldn't find an empty area to start a drag-select in.

I think this is confusing. I would expect SHIFT-DRAG starting in an open
area to ADD to the selected set, not reset it, which is the unmodified
gesture. Most graphics apps work like that. If the density is so great
that you can't decide whether you're selecting and area or dragging, I
would suggest that you don't realistically know what you would select
anyway and that you would have to zoom in to get it right anyway.

David