[josm-dev] Changes to fix accidental moving

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Jan 25 17:43:49 GMT 2008

On 25/01/2008 17:02, Gervase Markham wrote:
> David Earl wrote:
>> I think this is confusing. I would expect SHIFT-DRAG starting in an
>> open area to ADD to the selected set,
>
> It will. Please read the design page :-) My point is that there is a
> small restriction on drag-select, which is that you can only do it in an
> additive fashion. If you wish to have the selection be only the things
> you drag-select, then you need to clear any existing selection before
> you do the drag-select.
>
>> Most graphics apps work like that. If the density is so great that you
>> can't decide whether you're selecting and area or dragging, I would
>> suggest that you don't realistically know what you would select anyway
>> and that you would have to zoom in to get it right anyway.
>
> I am only attempting to respond to a problem which participants on this
> list tell me is real.
>
> I suppose there is no reason why unmodified drag, starting in an empty
> area, should not do a (resetting) drag-select.

Which is exactly what I'm asking for.

> But people seem to think
> that this should not be the only method.

Perhaps because they didn't read the design page either !

SHIFT-DRAG with nothing selected would add to an empty set, so would do
does exactly the same as DRAG, except that it avoids the possibility of
a MOVE happening accidentally. Great, let's have both.

On 25/01/2008 17:01, Petr Nejedly wrote:
> What is your use case for drag-select in JOSM anyway? I haven't
> used it even once yet!

I use it frequently. It's particularly useful if a way is composed of
segments which are too small to avoid easily selecting the nodes
instead. So I (shift)drag over the way and then deselect the nodes I
don't want in the selection pane. This avoids zooming in and out when
I'm mostly working at a scale where all but a few of the ways are large
enough not to need to do this. Maybe zooming in would be quicker, but by
the time I've tried to get a hit on the way and failed and it somehow
seems easier to area select.

David