[josm-dev] Mac .app

Till Amma till at tillamma.de
Mon Jan 28 11:26:29 GMT 2008

Hi,

>> I'm using a Mac together with JOSM for tracking. I don't like the
>> way I
>> have to start JOSM.
>
> I occasionally use a Mac as well. I have the .jar lying around on the
> desktop, and double-click it to start JOSM. What advantage does
> a .app have over this?

hm, thats true... but I like style! And
"org.openstreetmap.josm.gui.MainApplication" in the menu bar is fairly
ugly ;). Well, at least for me it is. Also clicking on a nice icon feels
much better then on the standard icon for a .jar. Ok, its mostly my very
own opinion and takes place in my eyes/head... but anyways...

>> So I made a .app (using "Jar Bundler" and
>> "IconComposer") from the latest JOSM build.
>>
>> I don't want to break the line by simply publishing it somewhere.
>> So my
>> question is: What can I do? Is there a place on the project homepage?
>
> Don't worry too much about breaking the line, everybody here does
> what he likes anyway ;-)

:-)

> If you have your own webspace somewhere, feel free to put the .app
> file there and make a link from the JOSM project page (that's a wiki
> page, you can edit it without creating an account).

hm, I don't know where to add it on the wiki page.
Here is the link tho:

http://www.tillamma.de/josm/JOSM_528.dmg

I have only tested it on my Powerbook... :)

> If there is a way
> to build the .app under Linux without user intervention, then we can
> also create it automatically with the nightly build.

There is.. well there should be... I need to figure out, how. :)

> I could also put
> your .app on the JOSM download server manually, but I hesitate to do
> that because I would not know how to keep it current.

No, that would be too much work, i guess. If there is any interest in it I
will keep it up to date as long as it is not built into the automatic
build process.

Cheers,

Till