[josm-dev] downloading data along a gpx track

Shaun McDonald osm at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Wed Jul 23 23:45:42 BST 2008

On 11 Jul 2008, at 21:13, Petr Nejedly wrote:

> mariner napsal(a):
>> Hi there,
>>
>> There is one feature I am really missing in JOSM. It's the ability to
>> donwload the data of OSM near a gpx track.
>>
>> I would like to place a feature request here on the list.
>>
>> It would be great to get only the data from JOSM, which is really
>> important. This is mostly beside a track. Maybe 100 meters on each
>> side
>> around the logpoints. Would something like this be possible? I would
>> like to help, but have no idea where to start...
>
> You'd have to tile your cover area with rectangles and then ask the
> server for each such a rectangle separately (as the OSM API only
> supports
> asking for one rectangle at a time) and merge the resultant datasets.
> It might end up being much faster to actually download the big
> rectangle
> over all your GPX data (unless you cross the server request limit,
> of course).

For my 8-9 mile cycle journey to/from work every day, I have to
download the data in lot of little bounding boxes, otherwise I hit the
50,000 node limit. This feature would be really useful, as it would
save me having to download manually each of the bounding boxes. (Or
maybe the incomplete London already has too much data.)

Shaun