[josm-dev] Getting the JOSM revision number

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue May 13 14:45:01 BST 2008

Hi,

>> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Frederik Ramm
>> <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>>> It's extracted from "svn info". I have sent you the Makefile that
>>> creates
>>> JOSM on the main server, in a separate E-Mail.
>>
>> Aha! People kept telling me ant was the way to go, but Makefiles
>> win again :)
>>

> I would have thought that ant was able to get the svn version.

I'm sure it does. I think the ant script that builds the JOSM modules
fetches the appropriate version number from SVN.

By the way, the plugin auto-updae feature in JOSM is really error-
prone. I don't know how many people actually work with it but what it
does is: It reads the plugins Wiki page from josm.openstreetmap.de
and compares the version numbers mentioned there to those of the
plugins acutally loaded. If the loaded version is less than
advertised on the Wiki page, it will offer to "update" the plugin.
However if someone was a bit sloppy and the version numbers don't
match, then JOSM will perpetually offer to "update" the plugin and
only get an "older" version downloaded, driving the user nuts.

Also, the Wiki page is becoming increasingly hard to maintain.

Since we have an unified ant build script to build the plugins, maybe
we should just record all version numbers as we go along, and have an
auto-generated page either in the JOSM wiki or in SVN that JOSM can
use to determine current version numbers.

Bye
Frederik